the hungry duck Sydney restaurants

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mamak, Malaysian, Sydney

A slightly unrelated topic.

So for the past 2 hours I've been working on my CA project without much success. Listening to music hasn't really helped either and every time I hear Chris Brown's Gimme That (super old song) I start bopping and trying to dance (woooo gangster!).


Can you believe he was seventeen when this was released?! Seventeen! Seriously. And here I am, much older, and still studying.

Anyways back to the point. Blogging about Mamak! So this ones for A.M since I recall a conversation where we talked about Mamak.


Mamak

15 Goulburn Street
Haymarket Sydney


Mamak is an extremely popular Malaysian restaurant thats famous for its roti and chicken satay sticks. Theres always a line so expect to wait around 20-30 minutes. On Sunday we arrived at about 630pm and waited about 25 minutes for a table for 3.

The line
hehe spot my sister!



Chefs in action

I felt really awkward taking a photo of these guys because every time they looked up we would have uncomfortable eye contact. Haha sorry! Hope you dont mind being on my blog :)



Iced Tea



Roti Canai $6.50

The roti is delicious. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside and chewy goodness. Each roti is served with 2 curries and also a spicy sambal sauce. The 2 curries are fairly mild but the sambal is intense. I never use the red sambal. The first time I tried it I ended up not eating my roti because it was too spicy haha.



Nasi Lemak ($14.50)

Look at that red sambal! Super chilli. We ordered the nasi lemak with the ayam goreng and curry chicken as sides and shared. Very yummy. The ayam goreng (deep fried chicken) was crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.




Chicken Satay Sticks ($16 for 1 doz)

I think these were a dozen for $16- which means Mamak must have raised their prices because last time I was here I think they were a dozen for $12. Anyways these were worth every cent. The peanut satay sauce is rich, flavoursome and crunchy with little bits of peanut. I can also taste some sugar (palm sugar?).



The bill was about $55 for 3 and we were very full. Mamak is a must try and worth the 30 minute wait. The dishes on the menu are consistently good and if you have a sweet tooth you should try the dessert roti :)

Mamak on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. love their roti! i tend to line up at 5pm so i get in as soon as they open at 530 >o< oh the things i do for food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear J,

    I think the roti, satay and Maggi goreng are really the stand out dishes at this place.

    ReplyDelete