the hungry duck Sydney restaurants

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rambutan, Modern Thai, Darlinghurst

Rambutan
Modern Thai

96 Oxford Street Darlinghurst

9360 7772





Tonight I had a lovely dinner at Rambutan with my four best friends. The service was excellent, the food was delicious and the drinks were amazing. Definitely recommended for an group dinner, but it may be a little too loud for a intimate dinner.





This is the restaurant at 630pm before the dinner rush. At 7pm, this place becomes insanely packed and lively. I apologise in advance to the random guy in my photo, sorry dude I dont know how to cut you out of my photo.

The restaurant was a bit dark so I only managed to take one good photo of the cocktails. But I recommend the baked apple martini, the Bellini and the ladykiller cocktails.


Dr Phil's Famous Flaming Rum Punch.


This sweet and flavorsome Appleton VX rum based drink is 5 parts holiday, 3 parts insanity & all the knowledge of an encyclopedia.

Hectic. This was pretty strong, I think the alcohol content was 50%.



Pla laht prik, hot, sweet & sour crispy whole snapper w bamboo shoot & kaffir lime leaf.


I was really surprised when they said the market price of this was only $36. Also very yummy for anyone that likes crispy skinned fish.





The photos from here are all taken with flash because the lighting was quite dim.


Wok fried King prawns w pong gari, coconut cream, baby corn & curry leaf

These prawns were so tender. One bite was like an explosion of flavours.. the prawns were ridiculously fresh. Its like they were caught in the morning and peeled right before they were cooked. Delicious!




Stir fried wild mushrooms w ginger, tofu, cashew nut & mushroom soy

Its always good to get a vegetarian dish to complement the meal.



Dry red curry, roasted pork belly w snake beans, grachi & holy basil

This was nice but I will be honest and say that the $13.90 version from Home Thai is better. Enjoyable nevertheless.




Crispy duck w sweet rambutan, eschallot, garlic & tamarind sauce


The portion size was really good, about three quarters of a duck. The duck was tender and juicy but the skin crispy. Very nice. The rambutan is a bit strange addition though and one of my friends actually mistook it for a scallop. Sigh I wish it was a scallop... yummm..



Verdict- thoroughly enjoyed and would return.


Rambutan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment